School Counseling Program Vision Statement:
At Chris Yung Elementary School, all students are encouraged to strive for creating a community committed to excellence. All students will participate in relevant and data driven classroom guidance lessons, have access to focused small group and individual counseling. Students will be empowered to discover their strengths and to achieve their maximum potential.
School Counseling Program Mission Statement:
The Chris Yung Elementary School Counseling Program strives to work collaboratively with all stakeholders (students, parents, teachers) in proactive solutions which support a positive and innovative school culture that facilitates our diverse population to acquire personal/social, career, and academic competencies necessary to function in our world class institution and contribute as productive citizens throughout life.
Adapted from the Prince William County K-12 Counseling Mission Statement
School Counseling Beliefs and Philosophy Statement
The counselors at Chris Yung Elementary School believe:
• All students can be successful.
• All members of the Chris Yung community have the right to access services provided by the
• School counselors are an integral part of multiple, collaborative teams that are working to
ensure student success.
• The school counselor is a safe person with whom students can share concerns,
accomplishments, and personal goals.
• School counselors must actively identify and provide additional support for children with at risk characteristics.
• School counselors must adhere to the professional and ethical standards of the Virginia School
Counselors Association and the American School Counselor Association.
• School counselors must set goals based on ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors and school data, provide quality work, and monitor data to evaluate the effectiveness of interventions.